Welcome!

My name is Lamya Amatullah. I am a woman who is interested in initiating dialogue among women throughout the world in order to promote healing, reflection, spirituality, success and plain old joy!

I have experienced a lot in my life-some good and some bad. The main thing I have learned is that one of the most important elements needed for women to feel whole is to have a voice. Unfortunately, many women have a voice, but do not have an outlet in which to be heard. Others have a voice but have yet to find it.

Grassroots is a platform for everyone to be heard and/or find their voice. We will discuss issues that are real and important to us. Together, we will build a community that is safe, caring and true.

Grassroots' name was chosen for this blog because we are the people who might not normally have a voice. Many times our thoughts, beliefs and values are overlooked and we are not supported by the majority. However, this will not happen at Grassroots where EVERYONE has a voice. Everyone will have a voice and we will grow together and flourish.

Below, I have included a prayer schedule. There are also two links which allow you to look up recipes and find out which fruits and vegetables are in season in your area. After all, we need this too!

Please scroll down to get started!


Much love,


Lamya Amatullah

Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 7- What do you look for in a mate?

Ladies,

I hope all is well with everyone today!  I have found myself getting started early with the blog again.  I have been doing a lot of thinking about the blog and this is kind-of a trial and error thing for me.  I know what interests me and I know what interests some of you but I would like to have more input from more people regarding your interests.  What do you want to talk about on a blog?  Think about that and leave a comment.

I want to switch it up a bit today and ask what do you look for in a mate?  I look for someone who is financially stable, has not been married very many times and does not have too many children.  I also would like for him to be nice and thoughtful.  I would like for him to have healthy self esteem and be family oriented.  I would also like for him to not be too extreme in his beliefs.  Typically, I would like for him to be black and at least five years older than me.

Now that is what I look for.  I am not sure this is what I will actually get.  My next question for you is do we get what we look for in a mate?  Why or why not?

Let me hear your voice!

Until next time,

Live, laugh, love

Lamya Amatullah

6 comments:

  1. I look for someone that is financially stable, does not have alot of kids, religious but not over zealous, family oriented, kind, funny and honest. He must also understands that I have life goals and he can not have problems with me following them.

    Im not picky when it comes to race, if he is tall and has a nice toned body with a great smile then im sold :p. No fatties allowed though lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women should be looking for a man who is good on his deen. Everything else to me falls into place if you have that. God is 1st in his life then he adds YOU. After you the kids then his family. In that order. Men who are unable to do that should NOT get married until they can do justice to his WIFE 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you about most of what you shared. I am pretty picky when it comes to race. We have a hard enough time trying to understand the culture of our own race of men, so imagine how much more difficult it has the potential to be with someone from a completely different race. I am too tired for all of that. In addition, I don't mind a little chubby.

    Do you think we let some of our initial qualities we look for in a man go, just to have a man? Also, do you think we choose men for their looks instead of their inner strengths? If so, why do you think that is?

    Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Siti6104 for sharing as well! I have been trying to respond to the initial post since last night and was unable to until just now. I final had to google my problem to try to get an answer. My security was set too high and the problem is now fixed, insha allah!

    We should look for someone who is good on their deen. I just don't care for the extreme brothers. I find many of them are pretending to be more serious about the deen at home than they truly are in the street among other brothers and that is not right. But I do believe God should come first. I also think good, healthy self-esteem is a must. Many of our brothers do not like themselves and therefore, cannot be good to us.

    Do you think we give up what we are lookin for just to have man? If so, why do you think that is?

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont let anything go, I rather be single then married to someone that doesnt "fit" in with me. Im also not that big on looks, I refuse to marry a "pretty boy". Its just that I dont find large guys attractive. If a man is well groomed and takes pride in his appearance then he is cool with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I do not let my standards go either. Once upon a time I did and I learned that is not good to do. It is not good for me and brothers are rarely willing to let any of their requirements go, so that was a wake up call for me. Never settle for less-it will make you unhappy and you will be full of regrets!

    What would it be like if we could become attracted to the person's bio and talk to them and figure out what we thought about them based on that without ever seeing them? I am convinced it would make a huge difference. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete