Welcome!

My name is Lamya Amatullah. I am a woman who is interested in initiating dialogue among women throughout the world in order to promote healing, reflection, spirituality, success and plain old joy!

I have experienced a lot in my life-some good and some bad. The main thing I have learned is that one of the most important elements needed for women to feel whole is to have a voice. Unfortunately, many women have a voice, but do not have an outlet in which to be heard. Others have a voice but have yet to find it.

Grassroots is a platform for everyone to be heard and/or find their voice. We will discuss issues that are real and important to us. Together, we will build a community that is safe, caring and true.

Grassroots' name was chosen for this blog because we are the people who might not normally have a voice. Many times our thoughts, beliefs and values are overlooked and we are not supported by the majority. However, this will not happen at Grassroots where EVERYONE has a voice. Everyone will have a voice and we will grow together and flourish.

Below, I have included a prayer schedule. There are also two links which allow you to look up recipes and find out which fruits and vegetables are in season in your area. After all, we need this too!

Please scroll down to get started!


Much love,


Lamya Amatullah

Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 10 - Letting Go...

Hey Ladies!

How is everybody doing tonight?  Fine, I hope.  I am doing okay.  I am having a bit of a rough day.  I have been on a diet for about three weeks.  I do not eat sugar or bread.  But my body seems to still crave it.  I don't really crave it but I am not truly satisfied with the veggies I am eating all of the time.  So I have no appetite whatsoever and haven't been making sure I eat throughout the day.  I have gone outside a few times and gotten light-headed. 

Now, I am trying to make sure I am eating more often, even though I am not hungry.  Our bodies are crazy/amazing.  I actually bought a candy bar today just because I thought I would feel better.  Of course, I do not.  It takes the body about seven days to rid itself of sugar and the cravings.  I am not craving sugar but I still thought for some reason it would help.

I am just going to have to deal with the transition.  Reintroducing myself to healthy eating is great but it is a job.  I seem to be more satisfied with foods that make us feel good instead of those that actually make us healthy.  It takes a complete readjusting of the mind for me right now and I am not there yet.  I am able to eat correctly but I do not feel satisfied.

I need to lose at least thirty pounds but I would like to lose fifty.  I gained fifty pounds throughout the five years I have been in school.  Now, I want to get it off while I have a break.  I will be back in school in August and I do not want to still be dealing with this weight issue.

What has been your experience with weight?  Have you been successful?  If so, please share strategies you used.  Please share anything else that you would like regarding weight gain or loss and anything in between with us.

Let us hear your voice!

Until next time,

Live, laugh, love

Lamya Amatullah

P.S.  By the way, I am going to the gym tomorrow...make dua' for me!  lol

3 comments:

  1. Asalaamu Alaikum sis,

    Im with you on this.... I've been trying to lose weight for sometime now but keep slipping up along the way. I want so badly to lose 50 pounds , but can't seem to keep up at the routine.
    I did manage to go from a size 14 bottoms to a size 12 by cutting out the soft drinks and sodas. InshaAllah my plan is to work out 3 days a week and to eat fiber one cereal in the mornings , an apple for snack, salad for lunch, and salad for dinner . I also bought some of that herbal dieters green tea ... I have not tried it yet , but I'll let you know how it works out. But please make dua for me as well... My health means a lot to me ,but it's a struggle trying to eat healthy.
    P.S. I think it would be cool if you started like a 30 day weight loss challenge on your blog. I think it would help people actually stick to their weight lose goals. btw I love the blog:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Ahmad,

    Thank you for sharing your experience. Your menu sounds pretty good too! I wanted to go work out today but was unable to for reasons I will post on my blog later. I have lost 10 pounds of the 50 so far, but it is a real struggle as you mentioned.

    I drink the green tea from time to time and it is actually pretty good. I know it is good for your diet, I just haven't bought any lately. I will certainly make dua' for you.

    I think the thirty-day weight loss challenge would be great. We could begin on July 1, 2011! Although many of us might already be dieting, we can still participate and that would be a great way to hold ourselves accountable. Thanks for the suggestion!

    Ladies, please leave a comment if you would like to participate. I will also mention it on my next blog entry later on tonight. We can work out the details together in terms of how we want to do it. Thanks again for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and I am glad you love the blog! I love you for sharing that with me. Words of encouragement certainly make my day!

    ReplyDelete