Welcome!

My name is Lamya Amatullah. I am a woman who is interested in initiating dialogue among women throughout the world in order to promote healing, reflection, spirituality, success and plain old joy!

I have experienced a lot in my life-some good and some bad. The main thing I have learned is that one of the most important elements needed for women to feel whole is to have a voice. Unfortunately, many women have a voice, but do not have an outlet in which to be heard. Others have a voice but have yet to find it.

Grassroots is a platform for everyone to be heard and/or find their voice. We will discuss issues that are real and important to us. Together, we will build a community that is safe, caring and true.

Grassroots' name was chosen for this blog because we are the people who might not normally have a voice. Many times our thoughts, beliefs and values are overlooked and we are not supported by the majority. However, this will not happen at Grassroots where EVERYONE has a voice. Everyone will have a voice and we will grow together and flourish.

Below, I have included a prayer schedule. There are also two links which allow you to look up recipes and find out which fruits and vegetables are in season in your area. After all, we need this too!

Please scroll down to get started!


Much love,


Lamya Amatullah

Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 2

My favorite place that I have visited is the ISNA Conference, 2000.  I was in school at the time and really did not want to go but decided to go anyway.  Once I arrived, I did more observing than interacting.  I travelled with my daughter and we stayed in a very nice hotel across the street from the conference.  For the first time since becoming Muslim, I saw families together having fun.  I saw fathers in the pool with their children laughing and playing.  Everyone looked really happy and comfortable financially.  When I saw these families, I felt really bad inside because that was not what I was accustomed to yet I knew it was right.  I was a single parent and felt like I had been robbed of this same happiness.

I also attended really well organized workshops available to everyone.  In addition, I observed young children (MYNA) performing skits and songs with open-ended drums.  I also went to a fashion show that included women dressed correctly according to the rules of Islam.  For the first time in my life, I was able to relate what I had read about Islam to what I actually saw.  It was a bittersweet feeling.

This conference lasted three days.  When I left, I felt rejuvenated and I felt lost, trapped, confused, unhappy, worried and desperate.  I was nothing like any of these Muslims.  I began to reflect on my own life and the choices I had made.  I tried to figure out what I needed to focus on in order to care for my child properly as a single parent in Islam. 

I learned a few things about myself.  I learned that I had been brainwashed into believing it is more religious/ spiritual/closer to God to live in poverty.  I learned that I was stuck in a rut and had been for the past eight years while I was married. After reflecting on this reality, I decided that I grew up with nice things and even if I did not, I do deserve to have nice material things in my life.  Therefore, money has to be made in order to make purchases. In order to make the money, I would have to educate myself and work in order to provide as much as possible for me and my daughter.

So with  eight years of baggage, where would I go from there?  I was very tired-mentally and physically but I would have to address that at some point in the future.  First, I had to find a job and I did just that.  I was able to find an apartment based on my income and it was very nice.  I still needed a car, education and to rid myself of the toxic baggage I was holding on to.

I will have to continue this story tomorrow, lord-willing.

So far, has anybody ever felt this way about anything I mentioned?  If so, what where your experiences and how did you deal with it?

Let us hear your voice!

Much love,

Lamya Amatullah

No comments:

Post a Comment